We are now accepting Team North Coaching Applications for the 2019 NAHC!
Deadline EXTENDED to: September 28th, 2018 (4:30PM MST)
We will be looking for 1 Head Coach and 2 Assistant Coaches for both our Male and Female teams (6 in total), with the opportunity for Coaching Apprenticeships as well.
The National Aboriginal Hockey Championships are a Nationally Sanctioned Hockey Canada Tournament where elite Indigenous athletes who are 15-18 years of age compete for a National Title. Coaches are expected to have experience and a passion for coaching elite youth hockey.
To be elligible for consideration, we ask that coaches submit:
- Cover Letter (If applicable, indicate your preference for a Head or Assistant position)
- Coaching Certifications (Current or Upcoming; NCCP Certifications required for all coaches; Head Coaches MUST have NCCP Dev 1)
- Criminal Record Check & Vulnerable Sector Check (Updated within a year of the tournament dates)
- Standard First Aid & CPR (Hockey Canada Safety Person training considered an asset and mandatory for at least one coach per team)
- Respect in Sport Certification
- Proof of Indigenous Ancestry** (First Nations (status/non-status), Métis, and/or Inuit)
- Reside in the NWT, Nunavut, or Yukon
**Non-Indigenous Coaches will be considered if we do not recieve enough applications from Indigenous Coaches, or if not enough Indigenous Coaches meet the eligibility requirements. Be aware that we will need to apply to the NAHC board for approval for any Non-Indigenous Team Staff.
Please Note: We are also accepting applications from young or inexperienced Indigenous Coaches who may want to attend the NAHC as an Apprentice Coach. Please still submit as many of the documents listed above as possible (although not all are mandatory for this position) and make sure you indicate that you are interested in the Coaching Apprenticeship. If possible, we will do what we can to help support you in gaining certifications and experience leading up to the tournament.
The 2019 NAHC Tournament will be held May 6-14th, 2019 in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Team North training camp will take place 4-5 days prior, requiring coaches and athletes to commit approximately 2-weeks of time for this event.
If you have any questions or concerns, or you would prefer to submit all of the above documents via fax or e-mail, please contact: