Aboriginal Coaching Modules
The professional development of Aboriginal coaches through NCCP certification has been identified by the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC) as a national priority. In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Aboriginal peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Aboriginal coaches taking NCCP workshops. The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Aboriginal cultures, values, and lifestyles.
The ACM is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP. The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following learning objectives:
- Understanding the role of sport in Aboriginal communities;
- Understanding and positively influencing the community in which you coach;
- Coaching the whole person; coaching beyond the physical to include the mental (intellectual and emotional), spiritual and cultural;
- Responding to racism in sport;
- Establishing a code of behaviour for your team that respects differences and addresses racism;
- Helping those you coach make healthy lifestlye choices.
If you are interested in becoming a Learning Facilitator in the NWT, please contact our Leadership Development Coordinator.