2018 Traditional Games Championships will be held on March 8-10.
All events are held at William MacDonald School in Yellowknife.
The NWT Traditional Games Championships were established to increase participation and awareness of Inuit and Dene Games at a territorial level. The Championships will build on the programs that the Aboriginal Sport Circle of the Northwest Territories (ASCNWT) and Municipal and Community Affairs (MACA) have been running in schools and communities across the north.
The objectives of the NWT Traditional Games Championships are to:
- Increase the number of NWT residents participating in traditional games.
- Support athletes with an interest in traditional games and who wish to pursue these games at a higher level.
- Involve all NWT communities in traditional games events.
- Develop and maintain traditional aboriginal culture as well as social components of the traditional games.
- Showcase the talents of NWT residents in traditional activities.
Who is Eligible?
- Every school in the NWT is eligible to register a team.
- Each school will determine which participants will represent their school. Each School will include four male and four female plus a male and female coaches/chaperones regardless of community size.
- Coaches/chaperones must be 21 years of age or older.
- Participants must be between the ages of 10 and 12 years as of December 31st 2017.
- In the event that the school chooses not to send a team to TGC, the community is encouraged to send a team.
- If the School/Community does not have enough athletes to make a team, the team can pick up other athletes from a different school within your region.
How to Register for TGC?
- Complete the online registration form. Each athlete/chaperone must complete a registration form.
- Download and print the informed consent form and code of conduct. Each athlete/chaperon must sign an informed consent form and code of conduct.
- Sign and hand in the informed consent form and code of conduct to your school's coach/chaperone*
- Pay team registration fee by cheque or credit card. Registration cost per team is (helps cover accommodations, travel, and meals):
- Outside Yellowknife is $1200
- Inside Yellowknife is $1200
Registration deadline is February 21st, 2018. Teams are considered fully registered once fees, registration forms and signed informed consent & code of conducts are received for all athletes/chaperones.
*If you are a coach/chaperone, please email all signed informed consent forms and code of conducts for ALL athletes, coaches/chaperones to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, download the 2018 TGC Handbook
or contact Beth Hudson, ASCNWT Events Manager.