2021 Traditional Games Championships - COVID19 edition
Expression of Interest.
The objectives of the NWT Traditional Games Championships are to:
- Increase the number of NWT residents participating in traditional games.
- Support athletes with an interest in traditional games and who wish to pursue these games at a higher level.
- Involve all NWT communities in traditional games events.
- Develop and maintain traditional aboriginal culture as well as social components of the traditional games.
- Showcase the talents of NWT residents in traditional activities
- Keep our NWT communities safe
The Traditional Games Championships (TGC) were established to increase participation and awareness of Northern and Dene Games at a territorial level. Due to COVID-19 outbreak, the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the NWT (ASCNWT) has decided to revise the traditional rules of the event. To keep our NWT communities safe:
- The event will not be taking place in Yellowknife
- Athletes/coaches will not be travelling out of their communities.
- Schools will compete against other schools by submitting their results to ASCNWT.
- The games will be open to all schools in the NWT and will take place over a certain period of time.
- There will be modified Northern and Dene Games. Specifications will be determined upon completion of team registration.
- Participants must be between the ages of 10 and 12 years as of December 31st, 2020.
- In order to compete in the competition, schools must sign up a minimum of 10 students; maximum 20 students allowed.
- All games must be completed within a 2-month time frame. (March 1st, 2021 to April 30th, 2021).
If your school is interested, please sign up below.
More details to follow.
Please contact Carson Roche for information
867 669 8385
February 15th, 2021
Participation Names Deadline:
February 28th, 2021