2021 Traditional Games Championships - COVID19 edition
The objectives of the NWT Traditional Games Championships are to:
- Increase the number of NWT residents participating in traditional games.
- Support athletes with an interest in traditional games and who wish to pursue these games at a higher level.
- Involve all NWT communities in traditional games events.
- Develop and maintain traditional aboriginal culture as well as social components of the traditional games.
- Showcase the talents of NWT residents in traditional activities
- Keep our NWT communities safe
The Traditional Games Championships (TGC) were established to increase participation and awareness of Northern and Dene Games at a territorial level. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the NWT (ASCNWT) has decided to revise the traditional rules of the event. To keep our NWT communities safe:
- The event will not be taking place in Yellowknife
- Athletes/coaches will not be travelling out of their communities.
- Schools will compete against other schools by submitting their results to ASCNWT.
- The games will be open to all schools in the NWT and will take place over a certain period of time.
- There will be modified Northern and Dene Games.
- Participants must be between the ages of 10 and 12 years as of December 31st, 2020.
- In order to compete in the competition, schools must sign up a minimum of 5 students; maximum 20 students allowed.
- All games must be completed within a 2-month time frame. (March 1st, 2021 to April 30th, 2021).
- If you need any equipment, please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- ie. snowshoes, snow snakes, dowels, kickstands, and/or stick pulls.
- Stick Pull - Each school will submit one overall stick pull winner (male & female).
- Snowshoe Race - 500 meters
- One-Foot High Kick
- Triple Jump
- Wrist Hang (Standstill version/Youth Grip)
Games through 2-6 will count towards the school's overall team scores. This will determine the winner for the 2021 TGC. Prizes awarded for 2nd and 3rd place.
Individual Awards will be awarded to the top female and male competitors in each event.
- Each event must be completed by all registered teams
- All events, except for Stick Pull, will count towards the school's overall team score.
- Each school must accurately track the results of each event.
- The team's overall score will be based on the Top 5 scores in each event (except Stick Pull)
- In order to be eligible to win the 2021 TGC, each school must provide the score sheets for each event. Score sheets will be provided.
- Stick Pull will allow for each school to determine one overall stick pull winner.
Please contact Carson Roche for information
867 669 8385
Participation Names Deadline:
February 28th, 2021
REGISTER YOUR TEAM BELOW