Established in 1999, ASCNWT was created through a national consensus-building process in response to the need for more accessible and equitable sport and recreation opportunities for Aboriginal peoples across the Northwest Territories.
ASCNWT is directed by a Board of Directors comprised of one representative from each of the five Regions of the NWT, as well as two directors at large and a youth member.
The Mission of the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the Northwest Territories is to promote and enhance community wellness and cultural awareness through sport and recreational activities.
- To deliver traditional sports programs across the NWT.
- To support territorial sports organizations in developing aboriginal athletes and communities across the NWT.
- To profile and promote developing aboriginal athletes in the NWT.
- To develop and maintain a connection between traditional sports and aboriginal culture.
- To work in partnership with federal, territorial and community governments to further grow sport and cultural awareness in NWT communities.
- To plan and deliver Team NWT for the North American Indigenous Games.
- To align and develop partnership with the National Aboriginal Sport Organizations, including the Aboriginal Sports Circle Canada and North American Indigenous Games Council.
- To celebrate the achievements of aboriginal coaches, volunteers and athletes across the NWT.