The objectives of the Traditional Games Championships are to:
- Increase the number of NWT residents participating in traditional games.
- Support athletes with an interest in traditional games and who wish to pursue these games at a higher level.
- Involve all NWT communities in traditional games events.
- Develop and maintain traditional aboriginal culture as well as social components of the traditional games.
- Showcase the talents of NWT residents in traditional activities
- Keep our NWT communities safe
The Traditional Games Championships (TGC) were established to increase participation and awareness of Northern and Dene Games at a territorial level. Due to COVID-19, the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the NWT (ASCNWT) has decided to revise the traditional rules of the event. To keep our NWT communities safe:
- The event will be taking place February 10-12, 2023 at Sir John Franklin High School in Yellowknife, NT
- Out-of-town teams participating in the 2023 TGC will not be allowed to stay in the school classrooms due to Covid-19.
- Participants must be between the ages of 10 and 12 years as of December 31st, 2022.
- In order to compete in the competition, schools must sign up a team of 4 males and 4 females, plus 1 male and 1 female coach/chaperone.
- Exceptions may be granted. Please contact Carson Roche
- 1-Foot High Kick
- 2-Foot High Kick
- Arm Pull
- Wrist Hang (Youth Grip - two hands grab the pole)
- Dene Stick Pull
- Pole Push (Outside)
- Hand Games
- Snow Snake (Outside)
All the Games will count towards the school's overall team scores. This will determine the winner for the 2023 TGC. Prizes awarded for 2nd and 3rd place.
Individual Awards will be awarded to the top female and male competitors in each event.
The 2023 TGC Championship will be invited to the 2023 Traditional Games, in Juneau, Alaska from April 1-2, 2023.
- Each event must be completed by all registered teams
- All events will count towards the school's overall team score.
- We will have officials keeping track of the scores with score sheets.
- Schools will be unavailable to stay in for teams from out of town. Teams must find their own accommodations for their duration during the Championships.
- All flights and transportation (gas) will be covered.
- If teams are driving, ASCNWT will reimburse.
Please contact Carson Roche for information
867 669 8385
Participation Names Deadline:
January 27, 2023