2022 Traditional Games Championships - COVID19 edition
The objectives of the NWT Traditional Games Championships are to:
- Increase the number of NWT residents participating in traditional games.
- Support athletes with an interest in traditional games and who wish to pursue these games at a higher level.
- Involve all NWT communities in traditional games events.
- Develop and maintain traditional aboriginal culture as well as social components of the traditional games.
- Showcase the talents of NWT residents in traditional activities
- Keep our NWT communities safe
The Traditional Games Championships (TGC) were established to increase participation and awareness of Northern and Dene Games at a territorial level. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Aboriginal Sports Circle of the NWT (ASCNWT) has decided to revise the traditional rules of the event. To keep our NWT communities safe:
- The event will be taking place February 24-27, 2022 at École William MacDonald School in Yellowknife.
- There will be Covid-19 signs hanging up, masks and hand sanitizer provided.
- We will be sanitizing equipment in-between each competition.
- Participants must be between the ages of 10 and 12 years as of December 31st, 2021.
- In order to compete in the competition, schools must sign up a team of 4 males and 4 females, plus 1 male and 1 female coach/chaperone.
- 1-Foot High Kick
- 2-Foot High Kick
- Arm Pull
- Wrist Hang (Standstill version/Youth Grip)
- Stick Pull
- Pole Push
- Hand Games
- Snow Snake
All the Games will count towards the school's overall team scores. This will determine the winner for the 2022 TGC. Prizes awarded for 2nd and 3rd place.
Individual Awards will be awarded to the top female and male competitors in each event.
Games are subject to change due to CPHO requirements.
- Each event must be completed by all registered teams
- All events will count towards the school's overall team score.
- We will have officials keeping track of the scores with score sheets.
- Due to Covid-19, schools will be unavailable to stay in for teams from out of town. Teams must find their own accommodations for their duration during the Championships.
- All flights will be covered.
- If teams are driving, ASCNWT will reimburse.
Please contact Carson Roche for information
867 669 8385
Participation Names Deadline:
February 10th, 2022
REGISTER YOUR TEAM BELOW